Friday, February 15, 2013

Warning: Not Painful if Taken

The Life Lessons of Organic Chemistry

"Clink . . . crash." An adapter to hold the flask to a rotary evaporator, equipment that literally does what the name implies - rotates flasks to evaporate liquid - hits the edge of the bench. It falls to the ground. Shattering into ten pieces. Swarms of lab coats swivel in the direction of the noise. Goggles stare, assessing the damage. The professor rushes to the scene with broom and dust-pan in hand.

"E, did you break anything else?" He hands me the dust-pan.

My face flushed. I shake my head.

"Good. That's good." He sweeps the glass parts together. "Now, keep going. The experiment continues on."

I nod and turn back to my station. My goggles have fogged up, but I can still see the mess at hand.  Beakers are all laid out, funnels beside them, blocking the unseemly mess of pipettes and stir rods. The column for column chromatography - a technique that isolates and thereby, purifies the desired product after the reaction has taken place - hangs there, ready for the test. Adrenaline courses through my body, but I feel very unsure of myself suddenly.

"Crap. What am I doing again?"

Such words are consistently uttered by science students in their academic career, but even more frequently when dealing with the dreaded "organic chemistry" series. A year and a half ago, I was thinking those same words as I sat down next to my previous lab partner and then boyfriend T. in the second row of Clip 194. The room that normally could hold 200 or so people seemed to engulf the 100 of us that braved showing up.The instructor handed out the syllabus and then promptly began drawing aromatic rings and a series of carbon chains. I copied those structures in my notebook, but what were they? Introduction to inorganic chemistry had not prepared me for the lingo that was used in organic. I just felt this helplessness and wonder . . . Would I really be able to learn all of this?

I felt the same way after receiving my first exam. By then I knew what carbon chains were, how to draw carbon backbone structures - which is just a short cut of using lines to represent bonds between carbons and the ends of those lines for the carbon atoms - and introductory material of organic chemistry. I had read all the chapters for the exam and thought studying once or twice a week with T. had been good enough. However when I had looked at those questions, they seemed applicable and challenging at the same time. I knew most of the answers and probably guessed on a quarter of them. By the end, my brain had checked out and was sending hungry and exhausted signals to the rest of my body. Again, I felt those words come to mind. "Crap. What am I doing again?"

In retrospect, I think half of the battle with organic chemistry, especially to incoming students, is a mental one. From days of high school, teachers and older "experienced students" complain about organic chemistry. They tell horror stories about a failed experiment, F's on the exams and just in general how it is the hardest thing that you will ever do. That you are odd to take Chemistry in college but even more insane to attempt Organic chemistry. They tell tales as if no one can survive the series . . . tales that any student would hear and believe that they were approaching Judgment day. Yet the truth of the matter is the complete opposite. Organic chemistry is literally the study of molecules that have carbon in it. Basically, you just study all the possible reactions and characteristics of carbon compounds. Yes, that does sound and is a lot of material. Yes, organic chemistry is challenging. Yes, it requires loads of work - perhaps, a good 10 to 14 hours per week of studying. But it is able to be done. People do survive and tell the tale. In  example A, the people who tell the horror stories - they probably passed organic chemistry, especially if they are science students. Example B, every doctor or researcher or even some chemistry teachers took organic chemistry and passed, or they would not have graduated. So yes, organic chemistry is hard but passable, and people do live afterwards.

I finally began to have that mind set after I received the grade of my first exam. Of course, it was not the A that I had wanted, but I had done better than I had imagined and survived. I realized, however, that I could do better. That everything that older students had told me was true in some cases but not in this. Organic chemistry was just another class that I was determined to do well in. I began to put in the allotted hours needed to read and study, and that included studying o. chem over hanging out with friends or my boyfriend. A week before every exam I would begin intensely looking over the material, memorizing reactions, equations and any other little detail.The next exams, I entered feeling nervous but more confident. The questions were challenging but definitely doable. That is how the whole course was, though. Difficult but survivable. For example,  I passed the class and in the end of the year, the series of lecture classes along with 50 or so other students. Organic chemistry is definitely doable.

 Yet organic chemistry is not something you just survive and move on from. After putting in those many hours, you begin to have a relationship with organic chemistry, which in some ways yields many benefits. For one, it confirms the need to have determination. You need to want to do well; you need to want to survive; you sometimes need to want to love it. Despite the various times of becoming exhausted and wanting to throw that brick of a book across the dorm room, I had to keep studying and doing well. It was a good test to see if I had the gumption to not only complete those classes but even just to become a doctor. To take the mcat, go to medical school and plan to become a doctor. - And actually it wasn't until I began the organic series that I decided that I wanted to be a doctor rather than just research or bioengineering, but that story can be told later. - So organic chemistry helped me stay focused and develop my goals in life.

It also has the odd benefit as an excuse. As I came to enjoy studying o. chem and nerdly loving it, I sometimes used that as an excuse to not hang out with my friends or even my boyfriend T. "Oh, I am studying ochem," and suddenly, no one would question why I did not want to go uptown or hang out at a friend's dorm or apartment. There would be no questions on why I didn't want to get involved with the latest friend drama. Rather, I would receive the doe-like pity eyes, and "Oh, that is awful. Good luck with that" generic response. After they would leave the room, I would turn on my computer, begin some TV show and open up my ochem book. - I know it sounds lame, but sadly that is me. -

It is also in times like this that organic chemistry does have its consequences. Sometimes having such a determined goal in mind does push other things and people away. As I said, I used o.chem as an excuse to isolate myself and not deal with that outer world.  I could try to blame o.chem for the reason that T. and I broke up, but that would be a false positive. All that I can say is the way I treated o.chem was the way I treat all of my school work. When I don't want to deal with the outer world or emotions, I hide by working or studying. Although it does work in some cases, I found out that it is not the best way to lead a relationship. If I could sum up any phrase to describe why we broke up, it would have to be lack of communication, unbalanced priorities and lack of time spent together. Both of us were too busy studying and working toward our academic goals that it would never have worked out. Organic chemistry teaches the same thing: when you study too much of Sn1 or Sn2 reactions - a substitution reaction where the carbon exchanges one atom for another, like chloride for OH -, you may not be able to do well in another reaction type like elimination reactions. It shows that there is a need to balance more than one subject, or let your determination to learn one thing inhibit your experience of anything else.

Yet again, organic chemistry teaches more than just that - it shows that life does carry on. That you can survive almost anything. Despite my break-up this fall, I could just jump right back into o.chem labs. I continued to study and learn information like every other student was. College still went on. In organic chemistry, you may fail a quiz or homework or exam, but you still have to continue on. Despite failure, you can still pass the class.

Or even in an experiment, despite any broken glass or initial failure, the product needed to be purified. I still had to pour my white powder into the column. Despite my shaking hands or even spinning brain, I poured the solvent or eluent into the column, stirred it with the powder, cleaned the column, and began to run the results. The product was separated into eight fractions, all of which showed a separated product. Somehow I had managed to extract what was needed. It goes to show you, though, that despite any bumps in the road or hardships, you can still survive. The experiment of life can still yield passable results.

Note of Explanation: If you need me to explain any of the o.chem terms in more depth, just let me know or ask me questions about o.chem, I would love to answer. Beside that, here are some funny anecdotes or jokes that were put together by o.chem nerds.

Video: I wish our professors would do this . . .


Also this joke is dealing with a reaction that forms an aromatic group (six ring group) from two compounds of carbons, one that has double bond single bond double bond - or a diene. But yeah, you probably get the joke.

To show that I am not the only nerd that likes ochem: http://www.organicworldwide.net/content/brain-relaxation

And you don't have to feel obliged to read the video, cartoon or website, but I thought that it would lighten the mood and make you understand a little bit more about the series.

Hope you enjoy! : )


10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome that your brain can work really well both in english and science. I am not that kind of person, but I wish! Really great essay elizabeth! I enjoyed how you told a few different stories in one essay and transitioned them seamlessly. I also loved the honesty you gave by admitting to sometimes hiding behind the o chem excuse when you didn't want to do things. The way you included dialogue between you and your professor was something new and different and I really liked that. The video and comic strip was also a nice touch. I would like to know a bit more about your dream of becoming a doctor. What about o chem convinced you to make this change and what kind of doctor do you hope to be? Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica!

      I had always wanted to write, but when I was considering majors for college, my parents convinced me to try the sciences to have something to support myself. My parents were pushing me to try engineering, but I really had fallen in love with chemistry, biology and understanding how the body works. So when I decided OU - since I could do both creative writing and cellular and molecular biology - I thought I would get my bachelors in biology and then go for my masters in bioengineering. I thought that was how I could better help understand how the body or joints moved.

      But my friends freshman and sophomore year kept saying how I would be a good and charismatic doctor . . . So I started looking into it, because I had never really been too interested in medicine. I knew that I wanted to help people, but I didn't know if being a doctor was the right route.

      Sophomore year and end of freshman year started to change that. Due to my love of running and unfortunate experiences in getting injured, I was interested in studying joints, which I could have done through bioengineering or orthopedics. With the death of my grandma at the end of freshman year, my desire to understand diseases and illnesses grew. In one way that was a step toward wanting to contribute to the medical field.At the same time, I began taking ochem, which I fell in love with as well. I loved understanding how everything bonded and reacted with one another. And really if you think about it, everything about biology and your body, has a basis in understanding its molecules and thereby, atoms and electrons. And that is basically ochem for you.

      Going back to medicine and deciding to be a doctor: People say that you shouldn't decide to be a doctor until you have survived ochem, because like med school and residency, it does take a lot of work and dedication. So if you end up liking that part of ochem, then there is a good guarantee that you can survive the idea of med school. Also there were many problems in my ochem book that were medically related that I really grasped onto and enjoyed thinking about. So that is how it really helped convince me to start on the path to be a doctor.

      Now, with a lot more information, I definitely still thinking medical school. Although I have considered being an orthopedic surgeon, which would deal with joints, I have more recently been thinking of going into internal medicine. This branch is more tied with cellular and molecular biology and understanding how everything in the body works together at a smaller level. For example, endocrinology is under internal medicine - study of hormones - or diabetics is also under that or cardiology. So from internal medicine, it may be a little harder to decide, but I have some time left.

      Delete
    2. I'm loving the interaction, and loving seeing the depth of your motivations, E.

      Delete
  2. This has to be the most perfect example of a familiar essay if I've ever seen one. Your parallels between organic chemistry and real life/personal experience are absolutely wonderful.
    I love the fact that you started with an event, or put the reader into your head in that certain "scene". Then you go on to expand on the significance of the event (add "commentary"). And you even bring it full circle by ending back at the original scene.
    It was really interesting to me how you were able to take this broad topic, and the struggles people (including yourself) have faced with it, and use it to come to a realization about life in general.
    The subject of a college class being unbearable is so relatable. I definitely felt like dropping out of college when I was taking "Drugs and the Brain" last semester. I'm not a science person at all and had no idea what I was getting myself into when I signed up for it. I failed the heck out of the first exam and wanted to die (I got like a 72%.... but failed by my own standards). I studied twice as much for the next exam, got an even lower grade, and still wanted to die. But I arrived on the other side, alive, with a B in the class and a whole new breadth of knowledge about both drugs and the brain. The fact that I could so easily related your feelings to my own life and experience is such a great feature of your writing.
    I have to say, I am absolutely astonished by your ability to talk about these ridiculously complex subjects and ideas in such a nonchalant way. It shows your intelligence without shoving it in the readers face. You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge, that's for sure.
    What kind of doctor are you hoping to become?
    I can't think of any suggestions so I'd say this is pretty close to perfect.
    Always a pleasure to read your work!
    Really really great job, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Katie! :)

      So far I am trying to keep it open. I definitely know which doctors I don't want to be: an OBGYN and in urology. But besides that, sometimes I think it would be cool to be an orthopedic surgeon, who works with joints and would be performing most knee or hip or wrist surgeries. And that was because I always loved seeing how the body moves. As I take more cellular and molecular bio classes, I also like seeing how the body works at a smaller level. So that has driven me to think of internal medicine, which basically does that. Diabetics, endocrinology and cardiology and others are all under that branch, so I still have not decided what I would want to do specifically. But they say you change your mind a lot in med school and that rotations your third year really helps solidify your decision.

      Delete
    2. Katie makes a good point about your nonchalance and ease with writing about these topics.

      Delete
  3. This was really cool to read for a lot of reasons.

    First of all, I do not get along with chemistry. I took regular chem and AP chem in high school and I swore I wouldn't do it in college. I was fascinated to read a piece on the love of science by a really good writer, because like Erica said I think that can be kind of rare.

    Mostly it was really interesting to read this after reading your post about church music. I feel like a lot of people try to claim that there is an impassable divide between religion and science, and it would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on that in another essay. Do you ever get aversion from your religious community about your interest in science or vice versa? Do you ever have internal conflicts regarding those two subjects? Maybe it never even crosses your mind, but I'm just curious.

    Anyways, really well written! Great parallels and commentary. Again, awesome to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zane! I am glad that this could still be entertaining and relatable!

      And that is a great idea for an essay! Personally, I never really had any problems accepting both or seeing any tension, though my religious beliefs are probably more lenient than some other people. But I definitely have noticed the tension between those two communities at a larger scale. I definitely noticed the clash my freshman year of college, though either I have become more oblivious or not placed myself in those situations anymore, but I feel as if that tension between the religious and scientific community has subsided a little bit? At least with the people I interact with on campus.

      That would be interesting to write on! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I agree that this could be an intriguing topic for you if you stuc really closely to specifics about your religious community and your ochem community. Which is more enriching? Which has the better inside jokes? Which inspires the most devotion from you? Which impacts your relationships most?

      I can see the essay bouncing back and forth quite succesfully.

      Delete
  4. E,

    I enjoyed this overall, but I have to offer a bitter pill (you perhaps will know the organic composition of such a pill). While this essay has so many opportunities, I think you're not yet sure what you're writing about yet. It feels like there's a lot of context and run-up, and I sense that you're delaying revelations, but besides the honest reflection about your insular, studying self, we don't quite get there.

    I'm saying this because I imagine a longer, more careful essay called "Bonds." In this essay, you use all of the tools of your chemistry trade. You describe experiments and compounds and personalities. And in doing this, you make metaphors about your social life. This essay could run this way:

    A: Short section in the lab
    B: Short section with T.
    A: Short Fact about a compound
    B: metaphorically related snippet about your personality.

    In this way, you'd be writing an intentional essay about chemistry, about social chemistry (overused pun alert) and about the way your mind links seemingly different topics.

    Imagine an essay where you end a section with "Did you break anything else?"

    This writing elides with section B in which you carefully detail the beginning of your break-up. See the emotional logic of that structure, the intentional choice?

    Writing isn't unlike chemistry. What you've got above is a mostly delightful experiment in which you've been able to turn a clear liquid purple.

    But I want the explosion! Research every fact you can about carbon and atoms and bonds that could also explain something about you or something about your relationship.

    For instance, a cursory search of covalent bonds wiki yields this:

    "A covalent bond is the chemical bond that involves the sharing of pairs of electrons between atoms. The stable balance of attractive and repulsive forces between atoms when they share electrons is known as covalent bonding."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond

    SEXY! You could use descriptions and quotations and factoids to add color or explosiveness to your essaying about your personality and your relationship.

    "Electrical conductivity Usually none." Well, what better way to describe a failing romance? And you can do this so much more creatively than I can.

    This needs to be the tale of Elizabeth through the lens of chemistry class, but chemistry class has to be the microscope not the paramecia, know what I mean? (Sorry, that's bio).

    Meanwhile, you might enjoy the work of Richard Selzer, a doctor who wrote (there's a selection in our anthology). Plus, Lewis Thomas's "The Lives of a Cell."

    Let's talk about expanding and revising the above piece.

    DW

    ReplyDelete