Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Wonderous Sense of Smell

The Smell of Snow?

Tiny white crystals float to the freezing ground. Snowflakes. Individually each has its own pattern, shape and beauty. Together, however, it creates its own picture of perfection. Together the flakes blanket the earth, the trees and the buildings. It refracts light and shows a cheerful illumination. Its coat gives a sense of fresh beginnings, cleanliness, a new slate. It smells of . . . Well, what does snow smell like?

Every season has its smell. The potent yet sweet fragrance of roses, tulips, lilies and cherry blossoms permeate through Spring. You notice the unique fresh smell of rain. Summer has not only these smells but those of cut grass and barbeque on the grill. Meanwhile, Autumn seems to hold wealth of all the smells. Not only is there the cut grass, flowers and cookouts in early September but the crinkling of leaves, the aroma of hot cider, burning branches of a bonfire. Yet what does Winter have?

Some may say that there is the fresh smell of pine, the aroma of cookies and candies, the odd wintry candle smells. Still most of these smells are connected with a holiday, not directly to Winter. So what smell is only associated with winter? For me when I think of winter, I envision snow. But what does snow smell like?

I was thinking about that yesterday as I idiotically walked from the Fitness Center to my apartment in shorts. Large snowflakes were falling onto the sidewalk. The first thing that passed through my mind was wow, this is cold. But I also was stopped by the thought that the snow smelled so fresh. Still I could not think of how to describe snow in any other way.

Chemically it is very similar to the make-up of water, except for its different noncovalent bonds. Yet the fresh smell of rain is different than the freshness of snow. Another adjective is cold. It smells cold. Yet what does that mean? Does it mean that our neurons in our nose becomes too numb and cold to be able to distinguish a scent of snow? So our brain reads, "It is cold. Snow smells cold."

I guess the only conclusive description of its smell is that it is cold and fresh. At least, I can determine that snow has a smell. At least maybe?

10 comments:

  1. I really liked how you prefaced your description of snow and winter with a comparison of the other seasons. It really gave a better meaning behind your thoughts.
    I also liked your line "Chemically it is very similar to the make-up of water, except for its different noncovalent bonds" which incorporated a more scientific spin on a subject you were speaking of in a more thoughtful way.
    I've always associated the smell of the cold with the smell of fire. I don't know why but I always think of a campfire when it's really cold and smells "cold".
    Great job writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really cool. I had never thought of that, but it makes sense. When it is cold, you tend to have more bonfires. And that smell is really amazing!

      Thank you for the comments!

      Delete
    2. Also enjoyed the description of the other seasons and the Ackerman-like "covalent-bond" line!

      Good comment, Katie.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this essay made me think a lot about what snow could possibly smell like and I couldn't have come up with a better response. I also liked your descriptions that each season has to offer. I have noticed all the time when I go to let my dog out towards the end of each season that I can start to smell the new season coming. I remember you saying that you take lots of science classes and think it was cool the way you broke down the process of why snow smells a little different that normal water. I think this was a really nice description of smells and found it comforting to see that we interpret seasons with lots of the same smells. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have noticed that you can notice the end of one season and the beginning of another through smell. Though does Athens ever throw you off on seasonal smells. For example, in the winter, I feel like it sometimes smells like winter but then it warms up and you smell rain like in the spring. It is as bi-polar as the weather.

      Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
    2. Ah, seasons-as-discovered-through-pet-ownership.

      Not onmly do dogs allow us to discern the seasons, Erica, they also apparently help us recover from heart attacks (at least according to Ackerman).

      I'm looking forward to getting an Irish Setter name O'Regano one of these years (call him Reggie!).

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, Eli. THe only thing I'd've liked is for you to take the one last leap, one flail, and actually define the smell, maybe by more associations. Katie has mentioned fire. Yes. What's the deal with the way we associate senses?

    DW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments! Maybe it smells like water, fresh/frozen and subtle and neutral. Sorry that wasn't that great.

      We associate senses through memories, other senses like taste or touch or sight. And especially with smells, it becomes more difficult due to the fact that our vocabulary is so limited on describing smell. Or at least that is what Ackerman stated. Right?

      Delete
  5. http://risingoutofash.blogspot.com/2013/01/smells.html?showComment=1359727822417#c1370070830261138650

    ReplyDelete